- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 3 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 15 ounce(s) canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) dark rum
- 1 teaspoon(s) powdered gelatin
- 3 ounce(s) shaved dark chocolate
- Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.
- Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3/4 cup cream together in a medium saucepan. Heat while stirring continuously with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon over medium-low heat, until thickened and the mixture coats the spatula -- about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir to cool.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture. Stir 1 tablespoon rum and 1 teaspoon gelatin together in a small bowl. Heat the remaining tablespoon rum, and stir in to the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Gently whisk into the pumpkin mixture. Beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff peaks, and fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into a shallow dish, cover and chill until cold and thick enough to fall from a spoon in heavy dollops -- about 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Beat the remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Alternately layer the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving dish. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings between top two layers. Serve chilled.
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.